Saturday 13 June 2015

Day 3 : Axbridge to Ludlow

Leaving Axbridge and home comforts took some effort but by 8.55am I was on my way. A fine rain, humid and claggy is best described as Mizzle.

Phil caught us up on the bypass- his planned ride up Cheddar Gorge hadn't materialised due to a heavy evening which ended up in the Crown. In fact up until the Avon bridge he was positively subdued, happy to ride behind Chris and I.

We wended our way through Shirehampton and Avonmouth on the Sustrans cycle way and made it to Aust services for coffee. Crossing the Severn bridge was hard work riding into the wind.

The highlight of the day was the lovely ride up the Wye valley past Tintern Abbey. Lunch was at Monmouth and afternoon tea at Hereford. We sent Phil off to look at the Mappa Mundi and the Magna Carta in Hereford Cathedral so enabling Chris and I to get ahead through Leominster and onto Ludlow.

Dinmoor Hill brought back unpleasant memories of my last speeding fine. Today, though we weren't doing more than 50 mph!

Ludlow is one of my favourite towns in the UK. My social geographer hero, W.G.Hoskins, eloquently describes it in his book about the development of the English market town. It has been a few years since my last visit - great to be back!

Day 3 Route


 Crossing the Severn Bridge
 Tintern Abbey


No comments:

Post a Comment