Saturday 6 June 2015

The Project

Travelling the length of Britain has always been on my expedition "to do" list ever since I was a teenager and got the bug for undertaking adventures in the wild places of our amazing country.Most of my trips in this country, however, have involved "bagging" peaks in Scotland, Wales the Lake District and Northern Pennines. I completed the Scottish Munros in 1999 and the Welsh 2,000 ft peaks (Nuttalls) in 2012 and I am now trying to complete the English 2,000 ft peaks.

Cycle touring has always been one of those activities that has played second fiddle to walking and climbing.  After finishing at Uni back in 1978 I did cycle around central England from my then home town of Stafford. I went with a mate on a two week Youth Hostelling trip through Shropshire, across the Cotswolds and Chilterns and up to Cambridge and Norwich before coming west through Leicestershire and back to Stafford. And Sue and I spent our honeymoon cycling around the Dingle peninsula and parts of the ring of Kerry in Ireland in 1985. 

On turning 50 I received a new road bike for Christmas and since then cycling has become my main form of exercise as the impact of running for many years was playing havoc with my body. Like most blokes, who don't have hobbies but have obsessions, I've become more and more engrossed in the sport. I've safely become a MAMIL (Middle Aged Man in Lycra). I've taken part in a number of Sportives graduating to the Fred Whitton challenge in the Lake District and the E'tape du Tour in 2013 and 2014. 

So last year thoughts turned to cycling the length of Britain from Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG). Like most good expeditions plans were hatched over a couple of pints in the Lamb at Axbridge. Chris Lukins and Phil Pinnington, two of my cycling mates were both up for it and gradually the talk has become a reality as we first agreed dates, started training and booked some accommodation. This Thursday (June 11th) we shall be on the start line. I'm already feeling very nervous just thinking what I've signed up to  - 992 miles and 52,000 ft of climb in 9 days! Plenty of other people have ridden it in a much shorter time so we will not be setting any records, but just how my body will react to day after day of cycling 100 miles a day remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment