Tuesday 16 June 2015

Day 6 : Wetheral to Ardrossan - 121 miles, 5042 ft if climb

Today was the longest day in mileage and there was the added pressure of having to make the last ferry across to the Isle of Arran which boarded at 7 pm.  An early start was called for.

After a comfortable night at the Crown Hotel and another excellent breakfast I was away by 7.40am ahead of Chris and Phil who I knew would be faster than me.

My Garmin successfully navigated me through Carlisle and out onto the Gretna road. The border was reached and I thought I saw Nicola Sturgeon waving to me or maybe I was just in the zone?

The landscape bordering the Solway Firth is flat and uninspiring but the miles pass quickly. The Peloton roared past me after 34 miles.

Dumfries was dismal and didn't warrant a stop. The first climb of the day was met on the delightful B729 after Dunscore - one of those long drags requiring a low gear. We stopped at the Moniaive cafe and bistro just after 50 miles for a late coffee/early lunch break. The comfy sofas were difficult to get out of.

https://www.facebook.com/glenwhiskcafeandbistro

The next part of the ride was the best so far, a beautiful stretch of road-single track, little traffic and lovely views across to some nice looking hills (message to self - worth coming back to do some further exploring of the Cairnsmore hills). A buzzard over head eyed me up as I went past his territory.

Hitting the A713  I felt the strongest so far on this tour and pushed on hard to Ayr where Chris and Phil had encamped at Cafe 51.

https://www.facebook.com/Cafe51Ayr

For the final 24 miles up the Ayrshire coast to Ardrossan we followed Sustrans route 7 past the Royal  golf course at Troon and onto Irvine. Following cycle paths aren't conducive for fast cycling  -not Pinnington friendly!

We missed the 6pm ferry to Brodick on Arran which Phil caught but were in plenty of time for the last Cal Mac ferry of the evening.

Phil had sussed out an excellent place to eat, the Brodick bar, which served us very well indeed, including a 10, 12 and 14 year old Arran Whisky. Unfortunately farmer Chris doesn't get Whisky, describing it as well fermented silage! Some education clearly needed. Maybe at the Oban distillery tomorrow he can learn?

http://brodickbar.co.uk/









2 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoying your blog and scenic shots. Have ordered The Making of an English Landscape to see what W G has to say. Anne (Poole).

    ReplyDelete